Friday, September 14, 2012

Spicy Kale Chips

Now that Katie is off in England studying abroad for the year, I'm going through withdrawals.
My solution? Continuously making a new recipe that she taught me.

Katie is a notorious health nut, always coming back from markets with bags upon bags of leafy green vegetables and tofu noodles. Whenever I ask her what she's going to make with all of them, she has a list of recipes for even the most obscure veggies.
Recently, when she and I went to the farmer's market, we both grabbed a bag stuffed to the brim with thick leafy kale. A bit of a stranger to kale myself, I followed her lead so that I could make one of her snack favorites - kale chips!


Thin, crispy, and incredibly low-calorie, these healthy "chips" will substitute for the usual fattening potato chip or butter-laden popcorn. I like to make a batch of these while I'm sitting in front of the TV so that I can snack guilt-free!
Katie's recipe is fairly plain, so I added a little spicy kick of my own.

To make these spicy chips, you'll need:
1-2 leafs of kale
olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon Weber Kickin Chicken seasoning

First, preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Then, wash and dry your kale.




Next, tear your kale up into half dollar-sized pieces. Try to grab the leafy edges, not the areas close to the stem.


Then, line a baking sheet with your kale pieces.


Drizzle olive oil over your kale..

Then sprinkle the leaves with salt, pepper and your spicy seasoning.


Pop these soon-to-be-crispy pieces into the oven for 30 minutes.
When they're done, carefully pick them up off the pan and pile them into your usual popcorn bowl. Be gentle - they're super delicate!



Feel free to eat as many bowls of these little snacks as you'd like. They're practically calorie-free and loaded with flavor!



Follow Me on Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. The kale chips look so good, I'm going to try these this weekend! I just want to make sure that it's 250°F and not 250°C? I don't want to burn these bad boys...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha no worries it's 250 F. Thanks for catching that, I'll add it to my post! And I'm sure you won't burn them they're super-easy.

      Delete