Sunday, September 16, 2012

French Toast Casserole

Sundays are my lazy indoor days that generally include mountains of homework and rivers of coffee. I wake up in the morning telling myself that I deserve a champion's meal to get through the work-filled day.
And today, I was in a cinnamon mood.





This French Toast Casserole is the ultimate comfort breakfast - the mashed potatoes of the morning. Since the boyfriend is in town this weekend, I felt justified in making this enormous pan of carbs, sugar and goodness for us to share (I'd also like to note that as I type this post, he keeps saying inappropriate things and trying to throw off my blogging game). However, don't feel bad if you devour a pan of this yourself. It's truly too good to resist.

To make this casserole, you will need

1 loaf of cinnamon bread (try to get one fresh from a bakery instead of packaged from a grocery store)

2 tablespoons melted butter
4 eggs

1 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon coffee grounds

Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F.

Slice your bread into 1-inch cubes using a serrated knife. 


I got this Extreme Cinnamon loaf from the Great Harvest Bread Co.



Next, pour your melted butter into the bottom of an 8x8 pan. Add your bread cubes to the dish.


Beat your eggs, milk, 1/8 cup of the sugar, the vanilla, and the salt in a large bowl until creamy. Pour your mixture over the breadcrumbs and wait ten minutes.


After the bread is done soaking, top your casserole with the remaining 1/8 cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon coffee.


As you can see from my picture, I didn't exactly sprinkle the coffee grounds evenly. But that's what happens when you're too hungry to do it right!

Once you've topped off your casserole, put the pan in the oven and wait an excruciating 45-50 minutes until your entire apartment/house/living area smells like a cinnamon and sugar souffle.


Cut your casserole into meaty pieces and serve warm. This recipe should feed 4 modest people, but, like I said, there's no shame in making the whole thing for yourself. 




Be sure to save your leftovers for a quick and filling Monday morning breakfast!

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment