Sunday, September 2, 2012

Kerrytown Farmer's Market

On Friday night, after Katie, Joanna and I had gorged ourselves on Jerusalem Garden, Katie asked if I'd be interested in joining them at the Kerrytown farmers market the next day.

"Sounds great!" I said, "When are we going?"

"We'd like to get there by 8:30 am."

"........................."

While my desire for sleep is grandiose and unrelenting, Katie implored that the market, which opens at 8 am every Saturday, is always crazy busy so you have to get there early to get a good selection. So, I conceded, set my alarm for 8 am, slipped into some jeans and set off for the market.



Needless to say, Katie's insistance that the market would be packed was right on point.






Now I'm no stranger to farmers markets, but the Kerrytown market certainly had the largest selection I've ever seen. Jars upon jars of eclectic-flavored preserves, jams, salsas and salad dressings; heaping piles of fresh fruit and vegetables; and some vendors were even selling eco-friendly home goods and purses.















These donuts looked especially tempting - only 75 cents per single-serving bag! This table also had an array of pull-apart breads, monkey breads, etc. My nose was temporarily lovestruck by the overwhelming power of cinnamon. 


Katie left the market with three huge bunches of Kale, while Joanna grabbed some smaller fruits and vegetables. I left with a gigantic eggplant and this delicious bag of chocolate raspberry coffee:


I also couldn't bear to leave without grabbing some of the beautiful potted herbs being sold. They were perfect to make my own mini-garden.


If you're cooking on a budget, I sincerely recommend putting together your own mini-garden as well. Fresh herbs add instant flavor and are used in so many recipes, but usually in small quantities like 1 or 2 tablespoons. Since grocery stores only sell herbs in huge bunches, you waste a lot of money buying a new bunch just to use a little bit.
I grabbed parsley, chives, rosemary and basil. What's in your garden?


Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment