Saturday, September 22, 2012

Chickpea Poppers

I adore Indian food. Unfortunately, being of European descent, I'm not very seasoned (pardon the bad pun) at using spices found west of Poland. Fortunately, I was able to use one of my favorite Indian spices when developing this recipe.
Remember several weeks ago when I posted about The Grange? And raved about how delicious their fried chickpea recipe was? And said that I would be re-creating it sometime soon?
Well, the time has come.



I call these bite-sized balls of crunchy and spicy deliciousness "Chickpea Poppers" because they pop and sizzle while they're cooking! Think of them as a spicy alternative to popcorn and feel free to make a bowl during your next movie night.

To make this recipe, you will need:

2 cans chickpeas, drained
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Olive oil

Start by patting your chickpeas dry and putting them in a bowl.



Sprinkle your curry powder, half of the paprika, and the salt and pepper onto your chickpeas, stirring with a spoon to equally distribute the spices.



Next, pour oil into a large flat-bottomed pan until the bottom is covered with a thin layer. Heat on medium-high until hot, then drop your chickpeas in. Make sure your oil is heated enough, otherwise it'll start to soak into the chickpeas instead of frying their outsides.


Heat the chickpeas for 15 minutes, stirring often, until they turn crispy, golden and bubbly. Like I said, you'll hear them popping as the oil fries them up into airy little spice balls.

Once the chickpeas are browned and covered with a crispy bubbly skin, sprinkle the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika over your chickpeas and stir. Pour them out into a dish and munch away!




Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. I'm a vegan & this is one of my fave snacks! Try them sweet with nutmeg & cinnamon :) xx

    www.satinandsouffles.com
    www.satinandsouffles.com

    ReplyDelete