Sunday, July 29, 2012

Parmesan Roasted Zucchini Fries


Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables. I find the flavor to be so versatile - all it needs is a little salt, pepper, and olive oil to make a simple savory side dish.
Usually, I slice my zucchini into medallions and saute them until golden brown. Simple, tasty and healthy! However, I was introduced to an entirely new way of eating zucchini when I tried Red Robin's decadent zucchini fries. Crispy thick zucchini pieces deep fried until the outside is crunchy and the inside is light and juicy.
I'll skip over my repeated woes about how I don't have a deep fryer and head right into how roasting your zucchini fries can give an excellent flavor without all the fat.
I know, I know, you're going to accuse me of lying, because roasting zucchini could in no way rival deep frying them in oily goodness. But trust me on this one. There are two important rules of life:
1. You don't need all that oil
2. Cheese fixes everything

So, without further ado, grab the following ingredients

2-3 zucchinis (I used one zucchini and one yellow squash for the color variety)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup flour
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.

First, slice your zucchini up into thick steak fry shapes. I generally cut each one in half, then quarter both halves. Thicker fries taste better!




Next, grab three shallow dishes. Place your flour, salt and pepper in one, your beaten eggs in another, and your cheese and breadcrumbs in the third.



Then, liberally coat a baking sheet in olive oil.


Grab your first zucchini piece, then dip it in the flour, egg, and breadcrumb-cheese mixture. Make sure each piece is liberally coated in egg and breadcrumbs.





Place your fry-in-the-making onto the baking sheet.




Do the same thing with all of the remaining zucchini pieces until they're all breaded and neatly lined up.



Place your baking sheet in the oven for 10 minutes. Then, carefully (I recommend using tongs) flip your fries over and bake for an additional 8 minutes until browned and crispy.





Select your dipping sauce (or eat them plain, like me!) and enjoy. Feel free to top with additional grated parmesan! Remember, cheese fixes everything.


Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment