Friday, October 12, 2012

Breakfast with Bread


You've probably heard many people tell you that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
In an effort to not offend the other two meals in a day, I won't call breakfast the most important. I will, however, call it the most delicious.
Especially when done my way. Two soft boiled eggs, a few strips of toast, and a steaming mug of hot coffee.
Now that's a wake-up.




If you're drooling all over your keyboard, fear not! This is probably one of the simplest and quickest breakfasts to make that you can whip up yourself in a few short minutes.

For those of you who've never boiled eggs before, you'll need a small pot filled with water. Sprinkle on some salt and bring it to a boil. Once it's boiling, pop your eggs into the water. Be sure to do this VERY slowly so that the heat doesn't crack your cold eggs (in fact, feel free to leave your eggs out for 10 minutes before cooking so that they warm up a bit):
large eggs - 4 minutes
xtra large eggs - 4.5 minutes
jumbo eggs - 4.5-5 minutes
(depending on how runny you like your yolks).

Then just pull em out, toast some bread and enjoy your golden-centered breakfast. Don't forget to dip your bread into the yolk!






If you live in a dorm, or some other sort of small habitat without a stove, fear not! Thanks to Nordic Ware, all you need is a microwave and this egg boiler:

Fill this giant egg with water, pop in your real eggs, and microwave them until they're done. Find it online here.

Additionally, you'll need some sort of egg holders to keep your breakfast upright while you eat it (and trust me, holding it with your hand is the fast track to burned fingers). My little white egg holders are from IKEA, and at $2.99 per cup, they're an excellent deal. You can also order some online here.

For those of you wondering why a recipe blog is featuring something as simple as soft boiled eggs, I must confess that I have a personal attachment to them. To me, soft boiled eggs always means holidays. Every New Years and Christmas breakfast came equipped with at least one or two of these bad boys standing up straight on your plate, ready to be devoured. The best part? They came with little warming hats on them like these:



Find the pink one online here, the elephants here.

I loved these little crocheted cuties so much, I requested one be put on my hard boiled egg when I was a child (I hadn't yet developed the adult taste for runny yolk).
Nowadays, these eggs are my quick, easy and filling breakfast. Less calories than frying or scrambling, and so much more fun to eat.
xx


Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment