Monday, June 24, 2013

Indian Spinach & Tofu

I've always considered myself someone who couldn't really cook convincing Indian food. I always found the spices to be a tad too unfamiliar for my taste buds, and I never trusted myself to re-create something that would taste as good or better than what I could buy at a nearby takeout joint.
Fortunately for me and my budget, this recipe happened.


Introducing deliciously tasty and ridiculously easy Indian Tofu & Spinach. I developed this recipe quickly when I needed to use up some leftover spinach and tofu, and it's become one of my new favorites.
To make enough for one, you will need:

Vegetable oil
1 small block of tofu (about 1x4'), sliced into 1-inch by ½-inch blocks
1 teaspoon cumin
¼ cup red onion, chopped
1-inch piece of ginger
1 teaspoon white pepper
salt and pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
3 big handfuls of spinach
¼ cup greek yogurt, plain
garlic salt

Heat the oil in a pan until it's good and hot. Add your tofu and fry until brown on both sides.

While it's cooking, use a food processor or blender to blend red onion and ginger together until finely minced.

When the tofu is done, remove it from the pan and set it aside. Add the cumin to the pan (and add additional oil if needed). Fry for several seconds. Next, add the ginger and red onion mixture and heat for 2 minutes. Add white pepper, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Stir. Add the spinach in batches, letting each round wilt. Next, place the tofu back in the pan and sprinkle in the smoked paprika, heating for 1-2 minutes. Finally, add the greek yogurt and mix until combined. Heat for 1 minute, then scoop onto a plate and serve. Top with garlic salt to taste.



Simple, healthy, and low-cal. Not to mention quick. Can you say go-to dinner recipe?

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment