Monday, May 27, 2013

Asolo, Italy

I must apologize profusely for abandoning this blog for 2-3 weeks now. But, I promise, I have a very, very, very good reason.
For the past two weeks, I've been in Italy taking a short course on Intellectual Property Law. And, of course, eating everything in sight.
My lodgings didn't have a very strong internet connection, so blogging while I was there was a bit out of the question. BUT, I'm back now to relay the culinary adventures of the Veneto region.


This is the stunning view from my dorm room. Yes, I know, the mountains look photoshopped. To be completely honest, they looked photoshopped in real life too. I promise they're real, and they happened to be extremely clear during my first full day in Italy.
Since jet lag had everybody pretty much out of commission on our first day, we didn't have many plans other than exploring the campus and the surrounding town of Paderno del Grappa. 
The second day, however, we went to the nearby town of Asolo for some exploring and pizza making.


The view from the undergraduate campus building in Asolo. If you hadn't already guessed, it's a medieval city on a high mountain.



Me and my friend Emily enjoying the view. You'll be seeing a lot of her on here for the next couple of days.



We had some free time before the pizza making class started, so we all headed into the town square and visited Caffe Centrale, the congregation spot for locals and tourists alike. If there's gelato involved, me and Emily are there.



After we got our gelato fix, the whole group headed down the road to Astoria Lounge for some prosecco and introductions by the owner.


We had some quick instructions on how to prepare the best quality dough.



And then it was time to get down to work.


Me and Patricia had our game faces on.


First you roll...


Then add your toppings...


And then pop it into a stone oven for 3-4 minutes until you get something like this little beauty.


Fresh pomodoro sauce, pepperoni, ham, grilled zucchini, arugula, and onions. Pour a little spicy oil on top and it's the closest you'll get to heaven on earth. This pizza here is the reason I can't look at Domino's the same way again.
*sigh*
One day I'll try to re-create this beauty....if I can ever get my hands on a stone oven.....

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment